Monday, January 31, 2011

Poster Campaigns

It's happening. Students at Ivey are running for various positions on the student executive team for next year. There's something that angers me about all this campaigning... and it's the lack of campaigning. The following picture says it all.



These posters result in one of two following outcomes for me:
  1. I don't know the person. I've never seen them, or heard of them, and I certainly won't vote for them if they only put up a poster saying: Vote John Smith, VP student events.
  2. I know the person. They're in my class, and I certainly won't vote for them if they only put up a poster saying: Vote Alim Fahreed, VP student events. Why would I want to vote for Alim if he's coming across as lazy by only putting up posters of himself?
Where's the passion? Why do I want to vote for someone who is putting no effort into this campaign whatsoever? Why don't they do the following?
  • Send out personalized emails to all the individuals they know explaining why they would be a good fit for the position they are running for and how they would appeal to my individual wants and needs
  • To reach out to the individuals you don't know, set up a booth around Tim Hortons and make yourself present during break times. Hand out print advertising that talks about how great you are (but make it comical to spread word of mouth). Giving away food at your booth is also a great idea. 
  • Use social media to your advantage. Tweet about it, make yourself visible on facebook. Start a facebook event. If I am voted as VP student events, I will; throw a party for all of the HBA1s, donate my hair to cancer, organize a rave, etc. (Anything that will draw attention to yourself and raise awareness)
  • Make T-shirts. Get all your friends to wear them in order to create awareness. On the back of the t-shirt state what your platform is. 
  • Make an announcement in all of the classrooms. Provide students with your email address, twitter page, etc. 
These are just some ideas that could be implemented. Of course there are tons more. 

So what's the point?

Don't vote for someone just because they're your friend and they put up 10 posters around the school. If they only put up 10 posters chances are they won't do a good job at whatever position they are campaigning for. Many of the students that are campaigning for the executive team at Ivey are coming across as lazy. Where's the passion? Why would I want to vote for you? What would you do for me? I'm sorry, but the poster with your face and name isn't communicating this. 



No comments:

Post a Comment