Friday, January 28, 2011

The Dip- Book Review

For our communications class today we were asked to give a two minute presentation on a topic of our choice. I chose to talk about my favourite book The Dip, written by Seth Godin. The Dip is an amazing book that teaches you when to quit and when to stick it out. Here's the gist of what I said:

I really like this book for three reasons. The first reason is because it's very motivational. It motivated me to quit things that weren't right for me, and refocus my efforts in areas that count. It motivated me to work hard. It taught me that "extraordinary benefits accrue to the tiny minority of people who are able to push just a tiny bit longer than most."

The second reason I really liked this book is because it's very applicable to me at this point in my life. It discusses when to quit or stick with a particular job, career, school subject, relationship, or even a hobby. I'm at a time in my life where I have to make big decisions. It's crucial to figure out what's right for me, and quit what isn't working. 

The third reason I really liked this book is because it taught me that quitting isn't a bad thing. In certain instances it's a strategic decision. My dad always told me never to quit. My teachers always told me never to quit. Here's what Seth Godin has to say about never quitting:

"Never quit? Bad advice. I think the advice giver meant to say 'Never quit something with great long-term potential just because you can't deal with the stress of the moment.' Now that's good advice."

I really think that anyone can find value in this book and I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment