Friday, August 26, 2011

Pita Put Off

I love the Pita Pit. I think they have a lot of good things going for them. They have capitalized on the healthy eating trend and established their retail locations when this trend was exponentially gaining popularity. Not only have they capitalized on the biggest nutritional phenomenon of the decade, but they have a slogan that says it all:

"Fresh Thinking, Healthy Eating."

Well yes... Their ingredients are fresh and their product offerings are healthy; but I'm not sure about the "fresh thinking" aspect when it comes to their advertising efforts. Below is a picture that I snapped with my camera phone during my weekly visit to my local Pita Pit.  



I've been visiting the same location all summer on lunch hour, and this sign has been bothering me for the past four months. Well, it's not just one sign, there are actually ten of these signs. 

So what's wrong with them?

These signs are located in front of Pita Pit parking spaces. By the time I see the sign, I've already made the decision that I'm going to Pita Pit to devour delicious food. These signs aren't compelling me to buy more pitas, and they're not driving me to visit Pita Pit when I wouldn't have otherwise. Therefore, I see these signs as a waste of Pita Pit's advertising budget.

Assuming that each sign costs ten dollars, that means that this location spent approximately 100 dollars on these signs. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, and in the scheme of things, it isn't. However, this 100 dollars could have been used effectively. For example, Pita pit could have given away ten free pitas spontaneously throughout the year. Imagine walking into Pita Pit, ordering your pita, reaching for your money, and the cashier saying "Don't worry, this one's on us." I think that this approach would evoke one of the two following emotions from customers:

1. The customer would insist on paying, and think that it's absurd that they are trying to give you a free pita. 

Or

2. The customer would be more than grateful to accept the offer, and enjoy the delicious, free food.

Regardless of what reaction the customer has to this offering, they would most likely tell a friend, family member, or colleague about it; therefore helping to spread positive word of mouth about Pita Pit, and achieve more than a 12" x 12" vinyl sign ever would.

No comments:

Post a Comment