Friday, September 16, 2011

The Effectiveness of Traditional Mass Media

I've always thought that traditional mass media was losing it's effectiveness. More specifically, I had this preconceived notion that television commercials and newspaper advertisements are ineffective.


Why?


We as North Americans lead hectic lives. We have so much going on, so much to think about, that we tend to tune out unimportant advertisements and commercials because our brains are constantly thinking about what task we will tackle next. Not only are we busy, but we are exposed to so many advertisements that we eventually tune them out. In the world of marketing, this is referred to as "noise."





Think about this, recall three advertisements from the latest newspaper. Can't recall any? Well neither can I.


How about television commercials? Can you recall three commercials from the last show you watched? I can't either...


An article I read a few days ago from the Globe and Mail completely changed how I thought about television commercials. If television commercials are so ineffective, then why did 30 seconds of Super bowl air time sell for a record price of over three million?


I then realized I have it all wrong. I am not being specific enough about the ineffectiveness of television commercials. What I have been meaning to say, is that the effectiveness of television commercials is seriously reduced when the audience is indifferent between watching the programming live or recording the program to watch at a later date. 

The Super bowl is watched by millions of fans in real-time. Therefore, many fans are sitting there, glued to the television set, intently watching both the programming and the commercials. This is also true of the olympics, various sports programming, the news, and popular reality TV shows. 


Are television commercials still effective? Or are you simply increasing your cost per customer acquisition?



No comments:

Post a Comment